Propane is a type of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) that finds use in a wide range of industrial, commercial, and residential applications. Two of its most common use cases are fuel sources for heating systems and vehicles. Getting this essential resource to distributors and end-users necessitates the use of specialized equipment, including, but not limited to, bobtail trucks.
What Is a Bobtail Truck?
Bobtails are bulk delivery vehicles equipped with specialized storage tanks designed to carry roughly 1,000 to 5,000 gallons of LPG. Key components of these vehicles include back checks, ball valves, double-check filler valves, excess flow valves, float gauges, hose-end valves, internal valves, pressure relief valves, and swivels.
These trucks are available in a variety of configurations and sizes to suit different applications. However, regardless of configuration and size, they generally function in the same way; they receive LPG at a bulk storage plant, deliver fuel to customers, and refill at the next bulk storage site. Compared to semi-trailers and stationary storage tanks, they have a much smaller LPG storage capacity.
How Can IPS Help Your Bobtail Operations?
Established in 1968, Industrial Propane Service, Inc. began business operations focusing on propane and anhydrous ammonia service and construction. Over time, the company expanded its focus to accommodate the growth in the propane industry. As a result, in 1996, the company was divided into separate companies: IPS Equipment, Inc. (IPSE) and Industrial Propane Service, Inc. (IPS). IPSE distributes propane equipment and heating and hearth products, while IPS provides plant construction, bobtail sales and service, transport, and pumping station capabilities.
Equipped with over 50 years of experience delivering propane industry solutions, we have the knowledge and skills needed to handle all of your propane industry needs. Our product and service offerings include:
- New trucks. We sell and service a range of new heavy-duty bobtail trucks for propane transportation operations. They are available with numerous chassis options, including Freightliner, International, Kenworth, and Peterbilt. From deck and fender to piping and tanks to valve, air, and electrical controls, our trucks are designed for reliability, durability, and safety. For example, our new Clear Vision Enclosure provides greater visibility behind the vehicle, better protection against the elements, and a smaller risk of corrosion and leakage. All of our trucks are available with fast turnaround build times and flexible financing options.
- Bobtail/trailer testing, maintenance, and inspection. Throughout their operational lives, bobtail trucks encounter rough terrain, harsh weather conditions, and highly repetitive use. The maintenance required to keep these vehicles running smoothly and efficiently can be time-consuming and costly. At IPS, we have the resources to make maintenance as fast and as easy as possible. We provide assistance with:
- V & K inspection
- Internal inspection
- Wet mags
- DOT inspection
- Meter calibration
- Pump repair
- Meter repair
- Bobtail On-Site Service (BOSS).Armed with our Bobtail On-Site Service (BOSS) vehicle, we can complete your bobtail maintenance at the location of your choice when it is most convenient for you. Our on-site maintenance services include:
- Bobtail V & K inspection
- Bobtail meter calibration
- Bobtail repair
- Dispenser meter calibration
- Dispenser scale installation and testing
- Dispenser repair
IPS: Your Source for Quality Propane Industry Products and Services
As the propane industry continues to grow, so too does the importance of specialized bulk delivery vehicles that distribute and deliver propane to end-users. If you need bobtail trucks or other propane industry products and services, the experts at IPS are here to help. With a highly experience sales and service team and a wide range of quality products from reputable manufacturers, we can help you make your propane industry operations safer, more efficient, and less expensive.
To learn more about our truck and trailer products and services, contact us today.